Mark shares how Rathbone Results supported scaleup for EA-RS, helping the business to the point of bringing in investors to implement their acquisition strategy.
Are you ready to scale up
your B2B company or
your Fire & Security business?
- Is your turnover £10m-£200m?
- Do you have a clear plan for growth?
- Do you embrace innovation within the company?
- Are you driven by productivity?
If you’re ready, we can help you skill-up your people to scale up your business…
Let us help you achieve more
So, what does Scaling up really mean?
Scaling up is growth at a faster pace than most businesses manage. It is outperformance – of your leaders, your people, your productivity and your competition.
The Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development defines a “scaleup” or high-growth business as one that is growing turnover by more than 20% a year over a period of three years, with at least 10 employees at the start of the period.
This is no mean feat! It requires the right mindset, the right leadership, the right plan and the right people to overcome these three challenges that every scaleup company faces, too:
- Effectively access and develop your market(s)
- Attract, recruit, retain and develop great people (and build high performance teams)
- Secure the necessary finances to support your ambitions
These challenges require clear strategic thinking and intent. A proactive, disciplined approach to working on the business not just in the business.
Any business can scale up, with the right mindset – can yours?
Can you set the goal of growing 20% per annum for at least 3 years?
Can you make time to strategise to do so?
Are you committed to holding yourself to account for implementation of that strategy?
The successful scaleups make time to strategise, find effective ways to do so and to document those plans.
Strategising must include clear critical thinking, to ensure a robust implementation plan. Ask yourself:
- What is the vision and purpose of your company?
- What are your SMART objectives?
- What strategies are needed to achieve your objectives?
- What will you do differently, and what will you start that is new?
- Which areas will you need to invest resources?
Some businesses ready for growth choose to work with a partner who can bring direct scaleup knowledge and experience to the table.
How Rathbone Results unlocked the potential in EA-RS
Fire services engineering firm, EA-RS, was ready to scale up organically and through acquisition.
One of the reasons it selected Rathbone Results to help get the business fit for scaleup, was due to the combination of fire and security industry experience and the softer skills we can provide.
Mark Wheeler, MD of EA-RS shares his thoughts, below.
“I work in an industry where we have THE most cynical engineers and without exception, every one of them has got something from it… If I can do it in a fire engineering business, I’m pretty certain any business can do it!”