30 second summary:
Engaging employees to consistently deliver high performance is a challenge for many business owners. If you are facing this challenge, look first at your leadership, not at your employees.
From giving feedback on performance, to investing in staff development and training, this article looks at 10 practices that leaders can adopt to engage staff for higher performance.
Many business owners are frustrated by the lack of productivity of their employees. They put the blame on the staff for this situation. Quite frankly, they should take a mirror and look at their own leadership.
10 tips on how to motivate your employees and increase their productivity:
- Recruit the right staff in the first place. This means paying as much attention to their attitude and values as their experience and skills for the role.
- Share the company’s goals and objectives with all the employees. Most employees like to be informed as it makes them feel valued and appreciate the context in which they fulfil their own role.
- Be clear on employee goals and expectations
- Give feedback on good performance. Saying thank you and communicating what you appreciate adds to motivation.
- Give feedback on poor performance and mutually agree what performance is required going forward, along with any corrective actions.
- Recognise that everyone is an individual and that motivational drivers vary from person to person.
- Be open and straightforward in your communications. Over communicate at times of change
- Create a sense of a common purpose and mission, highlighting how your company is looking to enhance the lives of your customers or make a difference to the industry. This adds meaning to the employee’s work.
- Be consistent and fair in your approach.
- Invest in development and training of your staff.
Book an exploratory call to find out how we can help you unlock your business potential.
Don't miss our latest insights
Subscribe to our Resource centre
Other articles that may interest you:
10 Ways To Make The Most of Your Customer Base
Your client base is a huge asset in your business. Yet it is amazing how many companies focus on chasing new customers and do not pay enough attent...Read more
Five Best Practices for Motivating and Engaging Employees in our post-truth workplace
We know that unlocking people’s potential and contribution is not a cliché but the key to business success - to attract, engage, motivate, insp...Read more
How To Build Foundations For Your Marketing
There are 6 foundations of truly effective marketing. These underpin the success of your lead generation activities. Put them in place and you have...Read more